Yes I know I’m a nerd sometimes – well to be honest a lot of the time – songs just pop into my head… yes I’m that annoying girl.
So I figured that I would write a love post in honor of Valentine’s day. I have been thinking a lot about what love is lately. Then realized that my views on love and have changed dramatically. So much so that I wanted to make a little before and after list.
What I used to think love is – and let’s be honest I sometimes still get confused about this:
- Love is butterflies and rainbows
- You want to be together all of the time
- You will get your perfect match in every way
- You will have a lot in common
- The list you had as a young girl will get checked off
- Cheesy aka the fluff
- The honeymoon phase will never end
- Romance at all times
- Knight in shining armor
- Good looks (I got lucky in this department)
What love really is to me now:
- Compromise and understanding
- Cooking for each other
- Surprises and adventure
- Not having much in common except for the big things (which is what really matters)
- Time apart is good
- Individuality and being your own person
- Quality time – for example staying in on a Saturday night and making cookies
When I was young I read this book series of the cutest couple, and she wrote a list of everything she wanted in her future husband – so I inevitably did the same. Let me just say that Ben is the opposite of what was on that list in a lot of ways. I know now that it was a very shallow thing to do but at the time it made me learn a lot about what I wanted and helped me not settle as a teenager.
Love is not what I used to think it was. I love Hallmark movies (and always will) and those movies were my view of what love was. Now don’t get me wrong that kind of romance is cute and fun but it’s not reality. Remembering that movies aren’t real and don’t accurately portray real life is hard to do at times.
Reality is much messier but in the end so much better.
I was going to post some cute photos of Ben and I but we had such a great night in on Saturday that I decided to show you guys what my kind of real love is. Excuse the lack of quality in the video as it’s from Snapchat but here is a little snippet of our life.4